Monday, July 14, 2008

Bring your A game if you want to survive

I had to pickup a prescription for someone today at a small independent pharmacy. I didn't know when they opened but I figured 9am was a reasonable bet. And I figured if it was 10, I could hang out and get some work done at the Starbucks down the block.

I showed up at the store at 9:11am. The lights were mostly off and the door was locked. And on the door was a sign with the store's hours. They were supposed to open at 9am.

I thought the story was that the big bad national chain box stores were destroying Main Street and the personalized service and attention that only the small independents could give us. I guess not.

Now to be fair, the guy at the store was nice enough. The transaction was fast and efficient. And it might also be true that they do provide great personalized service. But that is not going to be enough. When I show up at my local CVS first thing in the morning, they are open. Period.

If you are a small independent, your B+ game is not enough. You A- game is not enough. You need to show up every day with your A game.

No comments: