Thursday, December 18, 2008

Innovation rule #7: Never say “always” or “never”

Yeah, I just broke my own rule. But the rule only took effect after I wrote this.

I have had many discussions about the future state of the world with various people who often say “but people will always…” or “people will never…” Whenever I hear that, I know that person is in for a very rude surprise.

There are very few immutable laws in this world. We’re still learning the laws of physics and we barely understand human psychology. What appears to us as a constant, is more than likely just an artifact of our own family, society, culture or organization. Whatever you think will always be, probably won’t. And whatever you think never will be is just around the corner.

So don’t let yourself get too comfortable imagining that your future will look like today except with flying cars. The future is going to be very different. Open yourself up completely to this likelihood and you may play a role in shaping that future.

Alright, this is the end of my seven rules series. I hope these thoughts will inspire you. If they do help you invent the teleporter, please let me have the second ride.

And now, if you don't mind, I'd like to toot my own horn ever so briefly. This is my 100th blog post! I have no idea why that is significant in any way. You might think that my blog sucks. Heck, sometimes I think my blog sucks. And even if you like it, 100 is just like any other number except that it is 100 and the rest aren't. Still, I feel like marking this occasion and now I have.

No comments: